Smallholder/crofter Stonehead has put up this recipe for oatcakes, I like those little suckers, I might just have a bash at this one some time. Mmmmm, oatcakes.
- 400g coarse oatmeal
- 25g butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- Pinch of salt
- A little oat or wheat flour
- Mix all the ingredients except the flour together in a large bowl, knead for a few minutes and form into a ball.
- Sprinkle the flour on a clean work surface and roll the dough out thin. Cut into rounds.
- Heat a girdle/griddle (or very heavy cast iron frying pan) until lightly smoking.
- Sprinkle a little flour on the girdle, shake it over the surface and then fry the oatcakes until they crisp and curl at the edges. Turn and cook until browned.
- Remove the oatcakes from the pan to a plate covered with a clean tea-towel and serve.